Linux Basement Podcast
After yet another hiatus we get back to business and talk about Raspberry Pi and Kali Linux.
On this episode we catch up after an extended break and talk about Raspberry Pi, some distro talk, and a whole bunch of Web/HTML talk.
- New Releases: Fedora 19, Arch 2013.07.01
- The Server Show 001 http://podnutz.com/
- “Torrent syncing”
- Sony's PlayStation 4 Is Running Modified FreeBSD 9: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM5NDI
- Android console Ouya goes on sale on Amazon, sells out: http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2277264/android-console-ouya-goes-on-sale-on-amazon-sells-out
- Google Building Android Game Console: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323689204578571992848684764.html
- Fixing the worst video game ever: E.T. for Atari 2600: http://hackaday.com/2013/04/06/fixing-the-worst-video-game-ever-e-t-for-atari-2600/
- Project Cauã: revolutionising IT for the masses: http://news.techworld.com/data-centre/3453406/project-cau-revolutionising-it-for-masses/
- Availability Of Dell’s Linux Laptop Confusing US Buyers: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/06/dell-xps-pulled-from-dell-website
- Google finishes defining its VP9 video codec, adds it to Chromium ahead of Chrome and YouTube rollout: http://thenextweb.com/google/2013/06/17/google-finishes-defining-its-vp9-video-codec-adds-it-to-chromium-ahead-of-chrome-and-youtube-rollout/
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee lambasts NSA's PRISM: http://paritynews.com/web-news/item/1120-sir-tim-berners-lee-lambasts-nsas-prism
- Ladies and Gentlemen, SCO v. IBM Is Officially Reopened: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=2013061516065416
Rich and Chad babble extensively about non-linux stuff, but then we get into it!
Google voice and home projects using linux
Grive - Sync your files, beta style
Chad's ride into the world of Android via the Galaxy S4.
- Frank Hamborg on Episode 78
- Tom Scales and his Ubuntu win over Windows.
All about Google I/O 2013!
- Keynote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmPa_KxsAM
- Android: 900 million activations to date: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333584/total-android-activations-900-million/in/4095431
- Google turns Samsung GS4 into a fully unlocked Nexus phone with stock Android for $649 on June 26 via Play Store: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333716/galaxy-s4-stock-android-google-io-2013/in/4095431
Google Play Game Services annouced as cross-platform answer to Apple’s Game Center: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4327880/google-announces-android-game-center-competitor/in/4095431
- Google+ Games being done away with in favor of this new service: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/16/4337498/google-plus-games-shutting-down-on-june-30th/in/4095431
- Android Studio - New Dev Environment for Android: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333534/google-android-studio/in/4095431
- Google takes on Spotify with Google Play Music All Access subscription services: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333464/google-takes-on-spotify-with-google-play-music-all-access/in/4095431
- Google takes on Apple in schools with Google Play for Education: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333896/google-takes-on-apple-in-schools-with-google-play-for-education/in/4095431
Google+ completely redesigned, now auto-enhances photos and highlights best shots: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333546/google-plus-new-features-photos-and-redesign/in/4095431
- SndChaser’s blog post on the new G+: http://cerebralrift.org/2013/05/16/oh-google-please-stahp/
- Hangouts beefed up as unified messaging system for Android, iOS, and Chrome: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4332556/google-hangouts-unified-messaging-google-io-2013/in/4095431
- Google Chrome Racer experiment connects Android and iOS devices for multiplayer gaming: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333920/google-chrome-racer-experiment/in/4095431
- Google adds button-free voice search like that in Google Glass: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4333510/google-announces-no-interface-voice-search/in/4095431
Larry Page tells the tech world that “Being negative is not how we make progress”: http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/15/4334242/larry-page-to-tech-world-being-negative-is-not-how-we-make-progress/in/4095431
- Lubuntu 13.04 mini-review
- Precious sync convo update
- Ubuntu 13.04 boosts graphics performance to prepare for phones, tablets: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/04/ubuntu-13-04-boosts-graphics-performance-to-prepare-for-phones-tablets/
- Fedora 19 alpha offers a peek at what's coming: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2036524/fedora-19-alpha-offers-a-peek-at-whats-coming.html
- Debian 7.0 ('Wheezy') Release Planned For 1st Weekend in May: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/04/18/1843251/debian-70-wheezy-release-planned-for-1st-weekend-in-may
- Google Glass chipset revealed, uses same processor family as the Galaxy Nexus: http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/26/4270878/google-glass-processor-and-memory-revealed-uses-same-cpu-family-as-galaxy-nexus
- Google Releases Glass Kernel Source Code Publicly: http://paritynews.com/software/item/1017-google-releases-glass-kernel-source-code-publicly
- Google Glass is the future – and the future has awful battery life: http://bgr.com/2013/05/01/google-glass-battery-life/
- Firefox OS Phone on Display at LinuxFest NorthWest (Video): http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/05/01/194259/firefox-os-phone-on-display-at-linuxfest-northwest-video
- Mozilla: government spyware disguising itself as Firefox: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/381538/mozilla-government-spyware-disguising-itself-as-firefox
Kevin Wisher and Pegwole join Chad Wollenberg this episode. We discuss TLLTS 500th show, MakerFaire in Munich Germany, and we discuss network administration and how to utilize different utilities such as nmap and wireshark to do analysis on the packets causing problems. Make sure to catch Chad on Linux For the Rest of Us next week!
“Make Munich” MakerFaire in Munich, Germany - April 20-21, 2013
U.S. Senate Passes Internet Sales Tax Proposal: http://www.itworld.com/it-management/349486/us-senate-passes-internet-sales-tax-proposal
India sets March 31 deadline for Aakash 2 delivery: http://www.zdnet.com/in/india-sets-march-31-deadline-for-aakash-2-delivery-7000013135
You Bought It, You Own It: Supreme Court Victory for Common Sense and Owners' Rights: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/you-bought-it-you-own-it-supreme-court-victory-common-sense-and-owners-rights
Texas judge and Red Hat protect Linux from patent troll: https://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/texas-judge-and-red-hat-protect-linux-patent-troll
Longest Running Linux Distribution Slackware Adopts MariaDB: http://linux.slashdot.org/story/13/03/24/1625240/longest-running-linux-distribution-slackware-adopts-mariadb
Intel’s Pentium launched 20 years ago today (March 22): http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/analysis/2256532/intel-s-pentium-launched-20-years-ago-toda